Torrie wrote, My friend Carol and I decided to stitch your "Quaker Needlework Treasures" project a few years ago...... when we looked back at our notes we were surprised to see that we bought the linen, floss and chart in 2004! By 2010 we had stitching completed and all the lining materials purchased, so we made it a priority to complete the project. We got together back in February and worked all day on the finishing. Even the snow didn't keep me from making a drive "over the border" to our stitch shop in South Carolina to get one last package of those Mill Hill beads. Carol did have to wait a day until the snow melted to get over to my house to get her share of the beads. We are done!
We both used the linen and floss which the directions called for---- between us we bought at least 15 skeins of WDW Deep Sea Blue! Those fat tassels just used up the floss. Carol searched for just the right cotton fabrics and ended up purchasing them in Colorado. I ordered the silk ribbon for finishing the pin keep from Vikki Clayton. We got a good laugh over how long we had been working on this....it certainly didn't seem THAT long!
Carol added, Hey, this is proof we never give up on our stash and finishing!!! Never give up on stitching a project you love every time you see it!!!
The first two photos are from Torrie.
Torrie and Carol, thank you for sending me photos of your beautiful work. How did you like doing that beaded casing for the twisted cord on the bag?
I love the carriers you found and lined. They look wonderful and should be quite handy to use as you are working on other needlework projects. Maybe I need to make myself one also.
Torrie, I'd love to see your project in person. I hope you'll bring it with you when you come to Cincinnati in August for the Queen City Sampler Guild's classes with Catherine Theron and our 15th anniversary party.
I stitched my model for Quaker Needlework Treasures entirely in cross stitch over one linen thread. Most stitchers have also chosen to do this, but I've seen a couple of versions stitched over two linen threads instead. This creates a much larger needlecase. Both versions look great. If you stitch the larger version, make sure you purchase enough thread from the same dyelot.