Saturday, July 3, 2010

Celebrating the 4th of July!!

Tomorrow, the 4th of July, is Independence Day in the United States!

234 years ago, in 1776, that our Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress paving the way for the formation of a new nation. Throughout the country there will be parades, picnics, fireworks, and concerts to celebrate our country's birthday.

It seems very fitting to today post these photos from Sandy R. in Kansas of her Long May She Wave needlecase. Sandy took this class with her local EGA group.

This tiny project can fit easily in your hand, and yet it has 21 different stitches! Stitchers can chose if they want to stitch the 13-star flag like Sandy did or our current 50-star flag. In class, in addition to stitching on the project, participants get a brief history of the US flag and its evolution through the years.

As you can see, Sandy did a beautiful job with both stitching and assembling her project. Having stayed in Sandy's home when I taught for her guild, I can attest first-hand to the quality of her needlework workmanship! She has quite a bit of it on display. (She and her husband, Roman, are also wonderful hosts!)

During the next few weeks, you are going to enjoy quite a few other examples of her wonderful work. What a treat!! Thanks, Sandy!

(Long May She Wave is a current class project and is not available through shops.)

One of my favorite things to do on the 4th of July is to watch the Capitol 4th concert on Public TV. Tom will also be smoking a pork roast...yummy! If all goes well, I'll also be able to finish stitching my new sampler model.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Those are all wonderful, beautiful finishing work too!
Happy 4th of July!

Margaret said...

I've always loved that piece of yours. Great finish! I love watching the Capitol 4th too! :D

Nancy said...

Such a beautiful finish that Sandy did! It's so perfect for this time of year.

Patricia Lessell said...

I love what Sandy did - I think it is one of my favorites. I hope you had a really good 4th of July.
Lots of Love
Patti xxx