Friday, March 16, 2012

A new needlework box for your stitching enjoyment!

By now many of you have seen my two newest designs at your favorite needlework shop, either in person or on-line.

A few days ago I introduced you to Hannah Cummins, a charming reproduction sampler. Today I'm showing you my newest  box, A Quaker Needlework Box.


This little embroidered box, which measures almost 3-1/2 inches by  3-1/2 inches, is the perfect size for holding your needlework tools. Place it on a table next to you when stitching, or take it to your favorite stitching event. (Isn't it fun to take such "treasures" with you to a stitch-in or to a class?)

On my model, I used 32-count Antique Ivory linen and Gloriana Cranberry silk thread.  I cross stitched the motifs over one linen thread using just the one color of overdyed silk thread.

There is no reason why you couldn't instead stitch the project over two linen threads to create a larger box. Just think of all the "goodies" a larger box could hold! Regardless what size box you choose to stitch, make sure you buy enough linen and embroidery thread from the same dye lot. The chart directions tell you how many cross stitches there are in the entire project.

On the inside of the needlework box are two pinkeep medallions. A large pincushion is on the inside of the box lid. (When stitching, why not take off the box lid, and turn it over to reveal the pincushion which will come in handy as you're stitching?) Charts and directions are included for the embroidered box, the pinkeep medallions, a scissors weight, a needlebook, and two threadwinders.

This project uses only backstitch, cross stitch over one linen thread, and four-sided stitches. Stitch diagrams are provided along with very detailed assembly directions. I've also included suggested linen and lining layouts so that you can make the best use of your fabric.

Our detailed instructions are 13 pages long plus the cover with large color photos. As many of you know we pride ourselves on our very detailed instructions. (I say "we" because my husband Tom draws all those wonderful figures you see in my products.)

I hope you like my newest designs.

I need to run.  I'm off to take my Hannah Lancaster sampler to be framed!  I can hardly wait to get Hannah back and on my walls.

11 comments:

Krista said...

What a beautiful quaker box! Love it! Looking forward to seeing your Hannah Lancaster framed. Have a great weekend!

Vera said...

Oh, this is just so beautiful! Love it.

Laurie in Iowa said...

Another beautiful design.

Margaret said...

I love the idea of doing this over one! So beautiful!

valerie said...

Gorgeous Ellen! I just love it!

dixiesamplar said...

Oh my...I love it!!!!!!! :o)

woolwoman said...

Ellen is it a beautiful design - I LOVE the idea of stitching it over 2 threads and making it bigger - I just could not face doing it over one. good luck with your two new designs - they are wonderful as always - can't wait to see what framing you picked out for Hannah - enjoy your weekend - mel

Marilyn said...

I love it Ellen!
It's on my list. :)
Marilyn

Terri said...

I love this!! It's on my list, too!

Debbie said...

I wish I could make one! You are super TALENTED!!!

Anne said...

It's so dainty and pretty Ellen! I love the Quaker style!!