Thursday, September 20, 2012

Alaska (continued)

Here are some more Alaska photos that I thought you might enjoy.

How do you like this large antler display in Fairbanks?  I bet most of you haven't seen anything like this before.  

I love this beautiful fur coat!   Isn't it exquisite?


One of the beautiful (and interesting) places we visited was Glacial Gardens in Juneau. Look at these trees that are planted upside down!  Yes, upside down!  You can see more photos and read about these rain forest gardens here.
























Another one of our excursions was to Saxman Native Village in Ketchikan where we saw many totem poles.  These were two of my favorite.



Don't you love this large frog?  The frog supposedly symbolizes "wealth".


When leafing through a magazine one night, I saw an ad for a cute hat that I "had" to have.


Those flowers certainly remind me of the carnations that are often on Quaker samplers.  What do you think?

This was our first cruise--there are so many parts of Alaska that are only possible to see by ship. Imagine my surprise to see this quilt when we were waiting in the ship embarkation area.  Because the quilt was framed behind glass and there were overhead lights, it was impossible to get a very good photo.  I thought you might like seeing our photo anyway.


Time to go aboard!


The remaining photos were taken aboard our ship.

While exploring the ship, look what we stumbled upon: two late 18th century embroidered coats!

The first one was labeled A gentleman's full dress suit; velvet with silk embroidered, satin; style: Empire; Great Britain, ca 1780-1790.


Here are some close-ups of the embroidery.




The other coat was labeled A gentleman's dress coat; brown velvet with silk embroidered; style: Empire; Great Britain, ca. 1780/1790.


Here is a detailed of the embroidery.


Here are a few of the incredible food displays--a real "feast" for your eyes!








Every night when we returned to our cabin, we found that our room steward had created another piece of "towel art".  I think this monkey was our favorite.  I wonder if we can figure out how to recreate one the next time our grandsons come for a visit.


And now I guess it's time to say good night....sweet dreams!


4 comments:

Margaret said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your pics of your trip to Alaska. Spectacular! I love seeing everything! It must have been such a fun trip -- I'm having fun just seeing the pictures! :D

Laurie in Iowa said...

Loved the photos of the man's embroidered jacket. It's wonderful finding needlework is unexpected places.
Glad you enjoyed your Alaska adventure.

Grit said...

So beautiful pictures.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Jackie's Stitches said...

Ellen, you're right! I haven't seen an arch out of antlers before! It's a great picture of the two of you!

The embroidered jackets are amazing. I can't imagine the hours and hours that must have gone into making one jacket. Can you imagine the wearer spilling something on it after all it took to make it? I think I'd cry.