Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Make sure you look at the updated posting from Saturday, May 23, 2009 about The Internet and Needlework. I have just added a photo of one of the wonderful embroidered globes from the prestigious Westtown School, a Quaker school in Pennsylvania. These embroidered globes appear to be unique to Westtown.

I thought this photo would be a perfect addition to my blog. I wrote the school to get permission to use a photo, but the permission did not come in time for my post on Saturday. I think you'll agree that the photo is too wonderful for me not to add now. Mary who sent me the photo wrote that this globe was stitched by Deborah Oakford of Darby, Pennsylvania who attended Westtown from 1815-1816 when she was 13 years old.

Westtown was founded in 1799 and was modeled after Ackworth School in England. You can learn more about Westtown here and here. The second link has a photo of another globe sampler and also a darning sampler.

Thank you, Mary, for granting me permission to share Westtown's image of this magnificent embroidered globe.

No comments: