Monday, July 6, 2009

A Quaker Pin Cube by Robbin

Robbin Douglas of Massachusetts finished A Quaker Pin Cube in May. She wrote, "On this one I decided that I didn't want to work with cotton threads so I picked colors I thought would work from my collection and use Vikki Clayton's Hand-Dyed Thread silks.

"Like the turtles before them, I actually worked this as a travel project because the pieces are so nice and small and working over one in the car doesn't bother me. I finished the stitching a little while ago and put this together to show off at my EGA meeting-- everyone loved it! Getting all of the pins lined up on the top was a great challenge. At some point I will do the strawberry one to go with it."

Robbin's first two photos show the four sides of the pin cube, and the last photo shows the bottom. There are 100 white glass-head pins on the top.

Don't let the photos fool you. The cube is only about 1-5/8 inches square. The last photo in today's posting shows two pin cubes next to a thimble so that you can better judge their size.
Robbin and I both stitched our pin cubes over one linen thread on 32-count linen in order to create pin cubes about the same size as the Victorian paper pin cubes that were the inspiration for the project. The pin cubes look so cute sitting on a shelf or table. They can also be stitched over two linen threads to create larger cubes.

As you can see, Robbin does wonderful work with both stitching and finishing. I'm jealous that she can use an "over-one" project as a travel project; with my eyes, I'm restricted to such at home where I can use my large magnifier and light.

Robbin's pin cube is one of two designs in the product A Pair of Pin Cubes. Robbin, we look forward to seeing the other pin cube when you finish it.

The photo below shows both A Quaker Pin Cube and A Strawberry Pin Cube. More views and information can be seen here.

5 comments:

Patricia Lessell said...

WOW oh WOW is that ever gorgeous. Well done Robbin for stitching and finishing it and even better (can I say betterer?) to Ellen for designing it. It's gorgoeus. Lots of Love Patti xxx

Margaret said...

Oh so lovely!!! Robbin is such a talented stitcher -- love the colors she chose! And I love how small this comes out when worked over one! I'm going to have to dig this one out -- and see if I have the patience for over one right now. :D

Sandra said...

Amazing work, I love tiny things like that. Maybe I'll have a go at the Strawberry one. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a beautifully made pin cube - congrats to Robbin!

Anonymous said...

Oh so lovely!!!
françoise