Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I'm Still Around! Really I Am!

Just a quick update to let you know that I'm still around.  I've just been very busy.

A couple of weeks ago, I sent the charts for my two new samplers, Of Female Arts and Elizabeth Wood, to the shops on my automatic shipment program.  Thank you very much for your enthusiasm for my new designs.  I appreciate your kind words more than you can possibly know.

Also last month, I shipped the kits for my Fruit of the Vine class to New Zealand for an upcoming class. The good news is that the first box arrived with no problems.  Keep your fingers crossed that the second box will arrive shortly.  I sent a couple of extra kits, so if you're interested in attending the class contact Sherelyn as soon as possible.  

The Austin Stitchery Guild in Austin, Texas is now taking registrations for two  classes, A Lady's Worke Box  and  Long May She Wave on May 31 and June 1. Contact Lauretta if you're interested in attending either class.

Photos and detailed class descriptions are on the teaching page of my website. You must be in class in order to get the class kits.

Other news....Over the weekend, our son and his family moved into their new home (about 10 minutes away from us).  Tom helped with the actual moving, and three-year old Garrett spent the time with me.  I think I got the better end of the deal,  don't you?

Yesterday I was finally able to get together with my framer, Carol, and I picked up three pieces from her.  I thought you might like to see them.

First is Kathrine Jones, a reproduction sampler from The Examplarery.  The beautiful green ribbon was included in the kit.  I haven't yet figured out where she'll hang as my walls are getting pretty full.


Next is Lucy Adams, also from The Examplarery.  I've hung Lucy in my downstairs half-bath. She is in good company with Mary Victor, Rachel Ellis,  John Foster, Eliza Herbert, and Rachel Hyde.


I also picked up my variation  of Mary's Sampler, a mystery sampler from Plum Street Samplers. I'm sorry that this sampler didn't photograph very well.  I wish you could see it in person. The gold frame is just perfect.  I'll probably display this sweet  little piece on an easel  during the Christmas season.


I'm continuing on my quest of completing Ann Hair from The Scarlet Letter.  I didn't fulfill my goal of completing her last year, but  I'm getting pretty close. 

Here are two photos.  The first one shows one of the deer.  The directions weren't real clear on what to do, so I tried to use my best judgement.  (I had  hoped to find a clear photo of the antique and contacted the Fitzwilliam Museum who owns the sampler. Unfortunately, they no longer have a good photo of the sampler, and it would have cost me more than $60 to have one made.  I decided to pass on that.)


The next photo shows the sampler nearly completed. I  had had a hard time figuring out what was done for the grassy area  on the original sampler. (I took the photo before stitching the deer.)


You probably are thinking, it looks like she is nearly finished. I'm afraid not!  I took two steps backwards! What I mean by that is that I decided that I didn't like the grass.  I hemmed and hawed as to what to do.   The satin stitch grass had taken forever!  I had stitched it using a single ply of silk thread, but in order to get good coverage, I repeated each leg.  As you can imagine that was very time consuming!  I ended up last Thursday taking out all of the satin stitches.  I'm now restitching the grass doing something similar to what I had done for the deer.  I'm much happier with the results, but the process is very time-consuming.

Hopefully in my next blog post you'll see a photo of the completed sampler.   I know that my version is not a true reproduction...I'm calling it an adaptation.

12 comments:

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Oh Ellen, the finishes are lovely. Carol does such wonderful framing! I don't blame you for removing the grass. If you weren't happy with it now, you never would have been. I can't wait to see what you did instead. There's nothing wrong with an adaptation if it makes you happier because in the end you have to live with it on your wall. Hugs to you. Be well and safe!

Marilyn said...

What great projects Ellen.
Love Kathrine Jones.
Marilyn

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

You have been a busy and productive girl! I love your framed pieces and the deer and the rest of the sampler look beautiful. I think the satin stitched grass looked great - no way would I have pulled that out but I can't wait to see what you did!
Both framed pieces are lovely and the satin ribbon is a pretty touch!

Jackie's Stitches said...

I know you must be beyond thrilled to have Garrett and his parents so close to you!

The framing sets off your beautiful stitching wonderfully. I love the idea of Mary's Sampler on an easel!

I can't imagine how much it had to hurt to rip out all that grass. Oftentimes though, knowing that I simply wouldn't be happy softens the pain a bit. Looking forward to seeing the replacement grass!

Margaret said...

Oh yuck on ripping out the grass! What a bummer! But you will be so happy with the results so it will be worth it. Love all your framed pieces -- just gorgeous! I bet you and Garrett had a good time together. Hope the move wasn't too difficult for Tom or anyone else. How wonderful that they are so close by now!

Anne said...

Ouch on ripping out the grass. You are brave Ellen since I couldn't do it after all the time spent! I really like the stitch you used for the deer. What kind is it? Such beautiful samplers you got framed and if you don't have room for them, my walls are sampler empty...well only 1 resides on a wall!!

Chris said...

Hey Ellen!
Your framed pieces are lovely. Ann is such a gorgeous sampler. I know that you will get the deer just right.
I am looking forward to hearing all about your trip to New Zealand!

Melissa said...

Oh Ellen, such beautiful pieces! You are such a great stitcher - I sigh with envy!

Are those Examplarery charts still available? I don't see them around much.

geeky Heather said...

Wow, Ellen, those framed pieces are gorgeous! And Ann Hair is simply amazing. It must have been very painful to have to take out all that grass, but it's worth it if you'll be happier with the end result! Too much work to compromise on a look you don't love!

geeky Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

You did get the best of the deal having your sweet little grandson for the day. I know you will love having them closer! The samplers are just beautiful. I can understand about the grass. It's a pain but worth it in the end to be happy with a design.

JoAnn said...

After reading all of the above comments there is nothing I can add to them (I would just be repetitious) except to say, I am so glad you have this blog that we can see your beautiful stitching and learn of your schedule and family.