Sunday, November 7, 2010

Turning back time....

Last night, those of us in the US went off daylight savings time. It's always so nice to gain an extra hour to sleep, stitch, etc., but it's always such a job to change all the clocks---the ones in the bedrooms, the one on the tv, the ones on the stove, microwave and coffee pot, the one in the car, your watch, etc. Yikes!!

Imagine if you were Queen Elizabeth. Last weekend it took members of her staff over 50 hours to change the time on 379 timepieces at Windsor Castle, 500 at Buckingham Palace, and 80 at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh. I guess that most of us have it pretty easy compared to Queen Elizabeth...but perhaps not. She has household help.

I'm having a hard time getting back into stitching after having not done any for so long. (I never thought that I would find myself not stitching.) However, today I pulled the threads and started stitching on the Elizabeth J M Mears, 1833 sampler from Queenstown Samplers. I also have several ideas for new products, so there will be plenty of stitching for me in the next couple of months.

By now, most of you know my strong ties to Accomack County on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Perhaps that explains my strong draw to Elizabeth's sampler. Both of my mother's parents have ties to the area starting in the early 1600's. So far, the only connection I've found between Elizabeth and my family is through her husband, but I haven't given up on trying a direct connection between my grandparents and Elizabeth's family.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Can you imagine having that many clocks?! Wow! That's just crazy! lol!

I picked up the Elizabeth J Mears chart at my LNS yesterday. I hope that I manage to join the SAL next year. I'll do my best!

stitchenmylifeaway said...

Is there a SAL? It's a beautiful design.
Ellen I hear you.. once you break the habit it's hard to get back into.

Shay.

woolwoman said...

Ellen - I can't tell you how excited I was when I read the newsletter and found out about this samplers connection to Mrs Waddelow - it was uncanny and so perfect for the newsletter SAL. While I think they are both very neat - I think I will choose this one. It is so huge - I will probably be stitching it 10 years from now but who cares - I know I will enjoy following the SAL group this year as much as previous years.
Melody