Friday, November 14, 2014

Rearranging a Sampler Wall

I just realized that I never showed you Hannah Pepper once she was framed, so here she is. I love the frame! (Please excuse the glare on the glass and also the color of the linen.  The linen is not as yellow as it appears in the first photo.)


Hannah Pepper was published in the magazine Fine Lines and was never published separately as a chart. Occasionally issues of the magazines appear for sale at on-line auctions.

Whenever I bring a "new" sampler home, it's always a challenge to find a place to hang it. I love Hannah so much that I made some changes to one of the sampler walls in my family room so that I could see her when I stitch on my love seat.


Here is the previous arrangement.


My Three Things Sampler (third from the left on the bottom row) is now hanging in my downstairs half-bath along with Mary Victor, Rachel Hyde, Rachel Ellis, Rachel Allen, Lucy Adams, and a few contemporary samplers. I hadn't realized until recently that there are three "Rachel" samplers in a fairly small room.

I have been spending my early morning stitching time with Frances Eden (Handwork). I love working on her and find myself having a hard time putting her away until the next morning. Here is my progress as of yesterday.  


Sadly, Frances Eden is also an out-of-print chart since the designer resigned a few years ago. Please excuse the poor color....the actual piece is yellower than it appears in the photo. The linen is the same linen that I used on Hannah Pepper (shown above).

13 comments:

llknbillburg said...

Your Hannah is very beautiful and you inspired me to get mine out and kit it up for a January start. Your sampler wall have driven me to action on more than one occasion, either to add to the stash or to actual stitching. I don't know how you find the time for all of these large projects given your busy schedule but please continue to do so. Your work is wonderful!! Laura

Melissa said...

Such beautiful work, Ellen!

woolwoman said...

always a pleasure to see your sampler collection WOW ! and isn't Hannah lovely and I agree the frame is perfect. You are flying along on Frances - so many fun motifs on that one. Hope you enjoy the weekend Mel

Susan said...

Hannah certainly deserves to be front and center! What a beautiful finish!

Nupur said...

It is so nice to see your sampler walls Ellen... I want to work on some of your samplers soon... I may have some in my stash - I know I have looked at some of them many times before!

Barb said...

Your samplers are just beautiful and quite an inspiration!

marly said...

I've always loved Pepper and Lancaster. Your arrangement looks marvelous and your sampler choices are all beautifully detailed works.

Patricia Lessell said...

I loved seeing your sampler collection. They are just absolutely gorgeous as is your Frances Eden - very yummy. Lots and lots of Love Patti xxx

Margaret said...

Love Hannah Pepper! Beautiful wall -- just love seeing all your beautiful work!

Rachel said...

Wow, I am in awe of your samplers! So beautiful!

I've had my eye on Frances Eden for years, it always makes me smile when I come across her on a blog.:)

Karen said...

Hannah Pepper is just beautiful! And I love your sampler wall. It's very impressive.

Bethany said...

Don't you just love bringing home a new sampler and finding the perfect spot. I am looking forward to getting my newest, back from the framer. It should be here for at least the Christmas holiday.
Mom and I stitched Frances Eden together, during one of her few visits to Florida. I just love that sampler. We ended up stitching the sky area all in stem stitch.

Melody said...

What a beautiful finish, and impressive array of samplers on your wall!!