Sunday, May 24, 2015

Lincoln's Home in Springfield, Illinois

The home where Abraham and Mary Lincoln lived for 17 years (1844-1861) has been restored to the way it looked in 1860, as have the houses around it.  

 The black bunting on the front of the house was placed there to let people know there had been a death in the family living there. This year marks the 150th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's death.



Here are some photos of the inside of the house. Most of my photos are needlework related (surprise, surprise--LOL).



I wonder if anyone else takes photos of carpeting.











And here are some views of the historic district.




There is so much more to see in Springfield than I could fit into just a few hours, so hopefully I can make a return visit someday.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen, thank you for sharing these lovely photos, I am always interested in history & culture of other countries. I love the blue & white bedspread/quilt - just my colours.

Regards,

Marian

Barb said...

I just love seeing historic areas. I visited that house many years ago when I lived in Illinois. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Marjo said...

Beautiful pictures. I love visiting places and seeing needlework in the surrounding

Marilyn said...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them.
I spy a beautiful needleroll. :)
Marilyn

Vickie said...

Oh thank you Ellen. I would love to get there one day. This was great!

Margaret said...

What a wonderful tour of Lincoln's home and environs! I am drooling over that spool bed. Gorgeous! You'd be amazed how many pics I've seen on Instagram of rugs. They are all picture-worthy like this one. So beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Monica said...

I love historic homes. The house of wheels....historic hot dog cart...I'm bad!

Meari said...

Loved seeing the photos. I wasn't able to visit the Lincoln home when I was in Springfield several years ago.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Springfield looks like a delightful place to visit! The wallpaper around the fireplace looks very much like a fabric I used in my first quilt.

woolwoman said...

it was a wonderful tour of the Lincoln home and the museum that housed the fashions of the day. Oh my - yards of material went into those dresses and can you only imagine how hot all those layers would have been. I honestly don't know how they stood it but I guess if you knew no different you dealt with it. I'll have to watch that Lincoln movie sometime. Cheers Mel

diamondc said...

Ellen: How lovely to share these photos with us.
Thank-you

Blessings
Catherine