Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Despite the temperatures of over 100 degrees each day, I’m continuing to enjoy my time in San Antonio.

Monday night I had a delightful time with old friends Connie and Anna along with their friend Helen and Anna’s mother. The steak house where they took me has been around for over 50 years.

On Tuesday morning, Connie and I met at Stitches from the Heart. What a nice shop with a vast array of charts, linens, and threads! If you are ever in San Antonio, make sure you check out this delightful shop.The shop opened in 2005 and is now owned by Sharon Taber and Jackie Kayser. Sharon was in the shop on Tuesday; Jackie doesn’t become an official co-owner until this weekend.

In the photo below Valorie C. (on the left) shows off her Quaker Turtles. To her right is Sharon, co-owner of the shop. Valorie did a beautiful job of stitching and assembling her turtles. For their “home”, she lined a wonderful box. Here is an enlargement of Valorie's turtles. The shop was full of stitchers. Most of them were there for a stitch-in so I got to see lots of lovely works in progress. What a friendly group.

I learned that a group of 20 plus are working on the Mary Wigham sampler. Here are Charlotte M., Cheryl N., and Valorie C. with their samplers. Charlotte is stitching her sampler over one linen thread! I wish that I had thought to bring my Mary Wigham so that I could have stitched with them. One of my “finds” at the shop was some new plastic mesh bags. The bags have handles and a small zipper pocket on the outside. The bags come in four large sizes ranging from 10 x 13 inches to 23 x 31 inches. Sharon had only received a partial shipment of her order, the 12 x 16 inches bag. This is a great size for my Mary Wigham sampler. The outside pocket is perfect for holding my scissors and other small tools.

After a fun time at the shop, Connie took me to her favorite Tex-Mex restaurant, Los Barrios. I had recently seen Bobby Flay (on the Food TV channel) do a puffy taco “throw down” at the “sister” restaurant, so of course I had to try this signature dish. It was as wonderful as Connie said it would be.

Later in the afternoon I went to the Institute of Texican culture and in a few days will share some photos with you of some of the ethnic needlework.

Meanwhile, I leave you with two more photos from San Antonio.

Look at the beautiful pleasant sunset mimosa. The photo doesn’t do it justice. Knowing how much I like blue and yellow, I guess it is no surprise I liked this mosaic on the Riverwalk. Until next time…

3 comments:

DonnaTN said...

What a great trip you are having! Thank you for for sharing your adventures with us!

Margaret said...

It's fun to see all the fun you're having in Texas! I love those turtles and their box! Thanks for sharing your trip!

Ellen said...

It was so much fun to see some old friends and then to go to the shop and meet some others.

Valorie did an amazing job with her turtles. I loved seeing them! For her box, Valorie had found the same lining fabric that I had for my basket.