Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Meet Ann M, the Queen of Needlework Pocketbooks and Wallets

My friend Ann M. has an obsession for stitched wallets and pocketbooks. I first introduced you to her three years ago when I showed some of the wonderful pieces she has completed. You can see that write-up here.


In the past few years, Ann has stitched several more beautiful pieces, including most recently my queen-stitched pocketbook, A Work'd Pocketbook. This project is an adaptation of an antique I own.  

Ann changed the thread colors to suit her taste. She used 32-count Wichelt Lambswool linen, Needlepoint Inc. silk thread, a linen lining, and grosgrain ribbon for the closure.  

Ann wrote, As a lover of counted stitch I must admit I so enjoy reproductions and right now my focus/obsession is on wallets. On  "Work'd Pocketbook" (I changed thread colors) with LOTS of queen stitches I used Needlepoint Inc. silk thread. Thanks to Ellen for the wonderful adaptation and the superb instructions





A Work'd Pocketbook has over 7000 queen stitches! Yes, you read that correctly. I've nicknamed this project Not for The Faint of Heart. While this project is LOTS of work, I think you'll agree the results are well worth the effort!  

I was lucky enough to see Ann's completed A Work'd Pocketbook at the last Queen City Sampler Guild 's daylong stitch-in--in fact we sat together at the same table. It was so great to see her pocketbook in person.  I can't believe that I forgot to take a photo of Ann with her piece.  So sorry!

As you probably realize, I have taken time off from designing because of all that has been happening in our lives during the past couple of years.  The good news (well, hopefully it is good news), is that I've recently designed two new samplers. The first, Amidst the Crowd, is currently with my framer Carol.  This sampler was inspired by a wonderful antique sampler that hangs in our bedroom. It has an incredible border which I've adapted from the antique, a beautiful verse taken from the antique, and some wonderful deer.  I've also designed birth samplers  (A Gift from Heaven Above) for my twin granddaughters who are due in late August. The samplers are basically the same, but have small changes to make them slightly different.  The models are stitched except for the three lines of personalization which I'll add once the girls are born in late August.

I"ll let you know when I'm ready to release the designs. It may be awhile because I have a busy few months ahead with the arrival of my granddaughters and teaching in both Seattle and in Shipshewanna, Indiana.  

7 comments:

woolwoman said...

A beautiful finish for Ann, it is so lovely. I couldn't wait to pop over to the WMN website and see if there was any photos of the new sampler. maybe you will throw a sneak peek on the FB page ??? Enjoy
your weekend Mel

diamondc said...

What a beautiful pocketbook, stunning.
Beautiful pattern and colors.

Blessings
Catherine

diamondc said...

I just noticed the top when opened looks like a crown, so ingenious..

Blessings
Catherine

Judy said...

Love that you share other's work. What a lovely finish!

Really looking forward to your new designs. Maybe a sneak peek?

Judy in Kansas

Margaret said...

Ann is amazing and I love her pocketbook collection. This one is a beauty! I can't wait to see your new design! I've seen the birth samplers and love them!

Sandra said...

I love all Ann's pocket books and this one is no exception. It was seeing her finish of this on Marly's blog that inspired me to start mine and I'm about a quarter of the way down. I can see why Ann chose the colours she did, it is similar to your antique piece.

oliver said...


such pretty and delightful aids to stitching I think surrounding ourselves with beauty is very important...and these are beautiful. Each one unique and clever and even practical. I don't think it gets any better. Creative Bliss Dear
buy thread